Wednesday, February 18, 2009

feb 17

February 17, 2009

Today was a different day. It was hard falling asleep because M was snoring so loudly. I tried listening to my ‘nap’ tune on my ipod and it worked for the half hour but the bell at the end woke me up. So I repeated it, and then after the second time I turned it off as I was too exhausted to care about the snoring. It was cold too. I wore my pj bottoms, socks, long sleeve shirt, t-shirt, sweater and toque, sleeping bag and blanket. It was cold. Rockstar Hubby woke me at 6am and told me to keep sleeping as he would make breakfast. But I couldn’t go back to sleep. I had been having a dream about wearing a pink 80’s prom dress that I had ripped the sleeves off of with a pair of hot pink socks and combat boots. I was modeling for ‘America’s Next Top Model’ and was trying to prove that a 35 year old, over 110 pound woman had what it took. Jay (blond one, not other one) was impressed and then he started flirting with me as he worked behind the Starbucks counter as a barista (on the brain or what? Starbucks I mean, not Jay) And we discussed that if we ever divorced our spouses, we’d hook up...I was glad to be woken up.
After breakfast of cereal and grapefruit juice (French toast, bacon, biscuits and hot coffee for them) D and I tidied, then headed back into Lake Charles. The drive was still long, still boring, but we saw more as we knew where we were going this time. More houses destroyed. More homes built.
And then we got to Lake Charles and we went to Starbucks to check email and have a latte. I enjoyed it. Felt terrible afterwards, but I didn’t care. I really didn’t. I’ll probably care when I get back home and find myself covered in more parasites. I don’t know. Then we went to Kroger’s which is kind of a cool grocery store. When you sign up for their ‘card’, you get money off. My groceries were 5$ off, at 30$ total. D’s groceries for everyone else were 30$ off. Wow. Then a quick trip to Walmart to buy some pants as I’m working on-site tomorrow and I only brought one pair of pants (read yesterday’s blog on waking up late). This was an experience in itself. The Walmart is bigger than the biggest one I’ve ever been in. Regardless, they did not have pants for me. I had a choice between cheesy jeans with butt bling, capri pants (cute, but non-functional) and bright orange super thin ‘Danskin’ pants. I was tempted. But I went to men’s wear and scored a pair of camo, cargo pants for 11$. But the fitting rooms were locked. And there was no key to get in (no, I don’t get it either), so I tried them on over my stretchy pants. And they look pretty nice.
We got back at 2pm to a clean dining hall. And then we started cooking. We finished at 6pm. I made myself chicken salad. And I feel ok.

Introspective points: This team is amazing. They work hard all day and come back smiling and cheerful and not complaining at all. What a change from the grouchy people at home. I’m seriously tempted to move to the bible belt for a year. Tempting. Apparently Cameron just hired two full-time firefighters...

I’m going to bed.

I miss my boy.

No comments: