Saturday, February 3, 2007

Dirt

While I did my grocery shopping at the Loblaws, I noticed a stand selling perfumes. I usually eschew perfumes, preferring my own brand of patchouli that I've been sporting for years. (I gasp in shock as I realize it's been 13 years...) However, these brands had odd names. 'Orange dream, Angel Food Cake, Chocolate Chip Cookie, Dirt...' dirt? I smelled it. It smelled exactly like a freshly opened bag of soil. It immediately brought me right back to gardening. (an intense passion of mine-however there are so many) I sprayed my arm. I inhaled lightly. Indeed. I smelled like I had spent the better part of a morning gardening. I had to try the Cookie one on my other arm (how could I not?) Yes, it smelled exactly like fresh baked oven cookies. but is that really safe? i mean, i am watching what i eat. and my son might start munching on me, and given that we're working on the 'no-biting' rule...i smelled my 'dirt' arm again. i had to have it. it's february, it's cold, we just bought a new house so i have no idea what seeds to buy from vesey's yet...i smelled again. it brought me back to university where i had the fantastic job of managing the greenhouse. i definitely took that job for granted. i smelled again. i was brought back to the garden centre where i supervised for a few years. removing new flats of annuals from the trucks and then eating my lunch with soil permanently imbedded under my fingernails. spending hours on a super-hot day just cleaning up the perennials. making them beautiful so they'd have a better chance at finding a home.

so i bought it.

i also picked up a container of huggies lotion for my son. he and i have been suffering horribly with extra-dry skin, and nothing is working for it. aveeno, oil, avon stuff. i unpacked it when i got home and decided to try it out on me. it smells of lavender and chamomile. to put him to sleep of course. my skin loved it! it just sucked in all of the moisture and has finally stopped itching. all for 3$ a bottle! of course now i smell like lavender and chamomile. oh well, it'll fit in with the smell of dirt.

1 comment:

barb said...

Welcome to blogging (or as a friend calls it, 'the Blogosphere')! So I was asking all through your story "WELL, DID YOU BUY IT?" and of course you did, and so all's right with the universe, at least as regards fragrances with names that make you go 'huh?'.

Good to see you.