Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Chickens

I like to see myself as a healthy eater. Besides the 'Survivor' night of destroying a bag of Doritos, I do pretty well.
I've been buying Omega-eggs from the store. Full of nutrients and good for you, they say. But my farm-girl friend B, has started her own chicken colony. There are about 10 or so (probably less or more) and they all have names. B's daughters like the chickens. They think the chickens are pets. These sweet little laying hens have a good thing going on. They get fed choice morsels from the garden. They get music played all the time (I think they favour rock music). R goes out and reads to them. So when I get the joy of having some of these eggs, they are pretty darn good. I had an omelets made with them yesterday, with freshly chopped chives, red peppers, mushrooms, cheese, all fried up in organic butter. It was amazing. Today I decided to finish off my 'Omega-eggs' and had the same extras thrown in. The yolks were a funny colour. They cooked too quickly. They were a strange yellow when they were done. And the taste...well, I won't go there. I had to slather them in ketchup.
But I've decided that I will no longer be buying store bought eggs, no matter how many omega's are shoved in there. I will never say no to an omelets made by a laying hen who knows the virtues of 'Black Stallion' and 'Little House on the Prairie'. How much more wholesome can you get than that?

2 comments:

barb said...

Hooray for shameless plugs!

Though unfortunately the chickens have not been getting as much social time lately; it's just too cold to sit out there or to let them outside. I think if they knew spring was coming, they'd be as excited about it as we are.

Heather said...

We have also enjoyed the delicious eggs from Barb's chickens and wish we were a little closer so we could procure them more often. After watching just the end of a very disturbing film from Compassionate Consumers I'm not sure that I ever want to eat supermarket eggs again.