Thursday, February 8, 2007

Another Poignant Moment

I got to sit with the gaffer, watching Hercules and eating his baked vegetable chips. He was snuggled right up against me with the big gray fleece blanket covering our legs. Hercules just found out that his parents had found him and decided he had to go and find out who he was. As he left, his parents waved him off and his mom wept. And I cried. I sat there, holding my little guy so tight, smelling his amazing hair smell, and I cried. I don't want him to grow up. I want to take care of him as a little gaffer forever. I know realistically that I'll be pleased as he grows up, accomplishes stuff, gets married, has kids...but you know what? That moment of sitting with him, is now gone. Sure I might sit again with him tomorrow night and do the same thing, but I'll probably be thinking about decorating the house, or how to get more packing in while he's sleeping. So now I weep because as sad of a moment that it was, it really touched my heart and I don't think I will ever forget what he smells like, or feels like, or how his little hand holds mine when he wants me to follow him. Or the way his fingers twiddled Smedley's tail as he holds him tightly to his chest and drinks his milk bottle. I am so blessed to be able to experience this. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Love you bebe.

1 comment:

barb said...

... it will be gone, as all such moments do. But you will have had it, and you have the wisdom to appreciate it while you are having these precious, precious moments.

You're an awesome mom.