Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Tough Girl

Confession: I've always wanted to be the tough girl. I've usually loathed the whiny, simpering, 'oh help me' girls that you see on tv, read about in books, watch in movies. You know the James Bond girls who are always screaming 'James! James!'. I always liked the tough ones like Octopussy, and Pussy Galore (bad names but what can you do?) who knew how to kick butt, fly planes and look recklessly windswept and sexy at the same time. I'm afraid when I get windswept I look like a raccoon with the whites under my eyes and my too pink cheeks.
I've done a few tough things I think. I used to rock climb. I've camped (with my husband doing the dirty work), I kayaked in Lake Superior with two girl friends and camped out on deserted islands, swimming in freezing cold waters buck naked. I joined a Timbersports team and won first place once in log decking. I've even entered a few try-a-triathlons and blew my knee in the process.
But lately, I've been itching...to do something...a little crazy. So I've decided to go camping, by myself. Now I've mentioned to a few friends before, and of course the responses were expected. "It's not safe! What if a bear attacks you! What if you get lost? I know of a girl who went camping alone and she died from a cougar attack..." etc.
But I'm going.
My rockstar husband knows a spot I can go to, where I'll be left alone. But close enough to my car to take off if I have to. I'm looking forward to it. Yes, I'm terrified a moose will step on my tent in the middle of the night. I'm afraid the tent will rip in a thunder storm and I'll get soaked. But I think the worst of it will be the mosquitoes carrying me off.
But I'm going.

To prove something? Dunno. But I have to do it.

No comments: