Wednesday, February 20, 2008

a moment of reflection

from 1989.
that would have made me 17 I believe. Wow. time flies. regardless...

metallica had a new single out, 'Enter Sandman'. given the rocker chick that i was, i took to playing it loudly in my father's van wherever i went, along with Zeppelin, Cream and Toronto.

i had a crush on a 16 year old (i know!), who had gorgeous long curly hair and played the guitar. (i know!) he was to play at the local boys and girls club not far from my house on friday night with a makeshift band.

i was very excited to go. i grabbed some friends, rocked out in the van, and went.

halfway through the interesting performances (not bad for 16-17 year olds i thought) the lead singer managed to lose his voice. (possibly due to the amount of cigarettes he consummed on a daily basis?) everyone was in a panic. what to do? they had the venue until 11pm and it was only 9:30!

would i, could i, possibly sing for them? are you crazy??? i can't carry a tune! but they were desperate.
i went up.
i took the mike and smiled my little sexy 17 year old rocker chick smile. and the chords began. 'enter sandman'.

i could hear the bass thumping behind me, they had the chords perfect and it was now my intro. i opened my mouth...

nothing came out. i forgot ALL of the words. i kept looking behind me at the band, at this cute boy i was so fond of with fear and embarassment. he mouthed the words to me and i sang.

a loud, gutteral song came out of my throat and i sang my heart out. i even did a little head banging. and then it was over.

my moment of glory.

i wasn't asked to sing again.

No comments: