Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Happy Christmas and New Year's

what an insane Christmas.

the plan:
-take it easy!
what actually happened:
-chaos

So rockstar hubby's step-dad went in for knee surgery around december 16th. things were going well until the 23rd. He woke up in the middle of the night and was paralyzed from his neck down. He went to the hospital, then another hospital. We waited anxiously to hear what was going on. They thought he might have spinal meningitis blah blah. Immediately we were praying (of course) and wondering what the future would bring. Would we need to sell the house and move in together to take care of him? Would he be able to work again? Where would we move to? What would this mean? Etc.
Christmas eve morning rsh's mom called and asked if we could drive out to her house and pick up the 25lb turkey sitting in her garage and would we please host Christmas dinner? Sure we would. Then we got to spend an awesome lunch with friends of ours that we 'tricked' into having a little party so we had somewhere to go. It was a lovely time and at 3 we went to my parents. Which of course was a tad chaotic. We got home at 9, put the gaffer to bed and sat down to two and a half hours of putting together the Playmobile honkin knight's castle. We got to bed at midnight and at 7am I was in the kitchen preparing stuffing and getting the bird in the oven. After opening prezzies (my hubby is so good to me) I cooked. And cooked, and cooked and cooked. RSH's family came over and we had a lovely time eating. Well, they did. I cleaned and cooked and cleaned and washed and put things away. But it was nice.
Boxing day involved nothing. Which was kind of nice because we didn't have plans, but we sat at home doing pretty much nothing. Then RSH had to work the evening shift so I found myself wandering around aimlessly, wondering what to do. The tv won my attention.

So now, the eve on New Year's, we find ourselves with a quiet night and wine to look forward to. Step-dad has been moved home with an iv of anitbiotics which follows him around and strict instructions not to visit until next week. So today I will relish my writing time at coffee shop. If I can tear myself away from the internet...

No comments: