Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Baby, it's warm outside

It's been a cool June, with the exception of a few weird days. Which I've been fine with. This week? Highs of 30's all week. Which means a challenging but super-fun camping trip for the boys. Rockstar hubby is taking 6 other men down the Petawawa for their annual trek. Not as many men this year, having dwindled slowly from 32 the first time they all went over 6 years ago. It just means less rushing, less cooking and less stress. There is a possibility that it won't even happen next year. Who knows?
The gardens are looking good. I'm having serious issues with my tomatillos as the same beetle that devours my chinese lantern, seems to enjoy munching on tomatillo leaves. I have already picked off and killed 20 (may I say that strangely enough, they were all captured in sets of two? You can guess what they were doing) and when I looked outside today I noticed the entire top leaves are gone and they are still munching away. Seriously, how does a bug eat that much leaf? Bunch of fatties. So I've dug up all the chinese lantern plants out front (how they got there is beyond me) and I'm seriously considering digging out the ones that run along my back cedar wall. I'd like to say that they are normally pretty, but how pretty are skinny, twiggy orange blobs? Not very. Sure I could 'try' using insecticidal soap, but seriously? I'm too lazy. I'd rather dig them up. They irritate me anyway. And I've tried drowning them in an old vase filled with water (don't ask) and adding 'oxyclean for your carpet pet stains' and that didn't kill them. I doubt some yellow Sunlight is going to do the trick. And I don't use Sunlight. I use some kind of watermelon Dawn with antibacterial cleaner blah blah in case I happen to miss the raw chicken goo stuck to my glass.
On a personal note, work has been...too busy. Too much tree work and not enough family quality time. I'm noticing that rsh and I are bickering a bit for no good reason. Time for some time I think. It's so easy to get caught up in working hard in the summer...especially when the work is there.

Off to clean the upstairs room in the cool of my house. Air-conditioning can wait until 4pm...

No comments: