Friday, August 29, 2008

a mother's moment.

yeesh. i think i need to blog daily or these things can get extra long.
in a nutshell: went to the cottage for a few days. had good times and bad times. weather was good and it was bad. am home now and am avoiding unpacking. except for the food of course. am pleased to say hubby is bringing home thi fusion food. yum.

am reading absolutely amazing book. 'Sahara Special' by Esme Raji Codell. it's junior fiction and i have never read anything so well written and so touching. i don't go for 'touching' books, nor do i go for sad ones. 'the notebook' is something that will have to be forcefed to me. i do not like crying. but this book...i can't stop crying. and it's not because i'm sad. it's because it's beautiful. read it. buy it. own it.

am proud of gaffer today. stopped at the local chapters to grab a latte (no i did not go to the carleton place one, i wanted it now, not later) and while gaffer waited on comfy chair for me, while i waited for my latte, he sat quietly. as we went to leave towards thomas' table, he told he had to speak to the two ladies, to ask them if they had Jesus in their heart. i said, ok, go ahead and quietly watched. he went right up to the first one, a woman about 60 i guess, well dressed, and put his hand on her knee and said, 'do you have Jesus in your heart?' and then ran back to me grinning and said, 'she said yes!' and i said, ok, let's go. and he said, no i have to ask the other lady. so he asked her too. i'm sure they were humouring him. but i don't care. i'm very very proud.

7 comments:

Melinda said...

Isn't that just the most amazing feeling when kids show such an innocent love for Jesus and desire to spread His word? Our mum's hearts feel like bursting with pride! Way to go Mum and little Gaffer!

Marla said...

Uh oh I hope no child asks me that as I wouldn't lie and it might upset them. :(

PS Go read Lamb by Christopher Moore.

Jennifer said...

he wouldn't cry. he'd just tell you that you won't go to heaven when you die.
why should i read lamb? i tried to read a couple other of his books and just couldn't get into them...

Marla said...

I don't know any of his other stuff, but Lamb just made Jesus so...real. It was funny and touching and very well written. I couldn't put it down.

Question: Does Gaffer understand that some people don't believe in Heaven, or is that something that he'll get when he's a bit older?

Weird memory- I grew up as an atheist (I didn't know who Jesus was till I was about 8 and I thought he was just a fictional character). I remember sitting in music class in about grade 5 and someone mentioned the Xian god and I said I didn't think he was real. And pretty much every one in the class was blown away. But at that point I had never really thought about it and I didn't know that people *actually* thought God existed. I was a very much ostracized after that.
I think it's one of the reasons that when I decided I needed faith in my life (at 12 years old), I looked elsewhere.

Jennifer said...

Actually gaffer does understand that. Strange enough, kids are smarter than we give them credit for. I mean, at least, he always surprises me with what he picks up. Unbelievable.
I'll have to read the book.

What's a Xian god? that is a weird memory. I don't ostracize anyone...maybe because I was such a geek in school? I'll never ostrich you! :)
I'm planning an undercover take-over of Valley Players in about two years. I'm going to become president and put the players back on the funny track, where they should be...

Marla said...

OH! Xian like Xmas! I use it as short for for Christian. *laughs* Sorry.

Did you hear that Joe Bellemore died today?

Marla said...

PS- I'll totally help you with the VP stuff. I hope to be back in that area in a couple of years. Maybe CP or Ottawa...Must pay off debt, finish school, and save up some money first.