Monday, March 29, 2010

this week

Rockstar hubby's grandma died. She was going to be 96 two days later. On the way to the funeral:

gaffer: how did great Nanny die?
me: she was asleep and then she died.
g: but how did she die?
me: in her sleep.
g: no, how did it happen?
me: well, she fell asleep and God sent an angel and he took her hand and said, 'It's time to go Thelma. Time to go home.' and she said, 'ok' and they went up to heaven.
(pause)
g: that Jesus! He's too miracle-ey for me! I love that guy! He's the best!


so it was a good wake and a good funeral. it's easy to forget how wonderful RSH's cousins are. i wish i saw them more. it was definitely an emotional funeral even though she was terribly old. she was wonderful and funny and very much loved by all her children, grand-children and great-grandchildren.

what was the most disappointing though, was that very few of 'our' friends actually made an effort to come to the wake, or the funeral, or to even acknowledge their sympathies. but a couple did, and it surprised me because i didn't expect that from them.

so that begs the question: were those people who came brought up properly or are we being shown who our true friends are? not bitter, just wondering about it all.

3 comments:

Oggerg said...

Seren/RSH

So sorry to hear about RSH's Grandma. This is the first I've heard about it. She sounds like she was an amazing lady.

Our condolences.

sue said...

I'm sorry. Even when they are old, it is hard to say goodbye when they are loved.

And the who was there and who wasn't is a wonder, isn't it? I was surprised by both the who was there and the who wasn't there after Josh died. I feel the who wasn't there part was mostly that they had no idea what to say, so they said nothing. Better to say, "I have no idea what to say".

I hope that made sense....

Jennifer said...

you always make sense. thanks.